Saturday, July 14, 2012

Little red apples

My lovely friend Fiona from Finding fifth brought me some little red apples when she visited last week - such red appley goodness!


One of my favourite things to do with apples is to stew them and make apple crumble. So that little bag of apples soon became -


Lovely apple slices sitting pretty in my retro orange Le Creuset saucepan - appropriate seeing it is Bastille Day!

So on the stove they went with a little water until soft. I then mixed in a good teaspoon of cinnamon (we like our spices) and popped them in a baking dish.

Everyone has their own way of making crumble. For me, crumble means rolled oats and the recipe I use is -

1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
25g butter

I mixed all the dry ingredients together then rubbed the butter thru the mix until it was like breadcrumbs. It then gets spread over the stewed apple. I used a double batch of the crumble mix to cover this dish.

It all went into a 180C oven for about 40 mins or so.

It is great served  warm with ice cream or custard.



Also quite fab cold in the morning with a big dollop of Greek yoghurt :)





2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering - make sure you post an after shot of a slice sometime. Bet the oldest boy loved it!

    ReplyDelete