Sunday, September 9, 2012

My first Zakka project - Happy Garland message board

I have been watching with interest as my beautiful friend Fiona from Finding Fifth has been participating in the Zakka Style sew along. I have even be so fortunate as to be on the receiving end of not one, not two but THREE beautiful items that Fiona has made as part of the sew along.




Top - Bread basket
Middle - Zakka pincushion
Bottom - Patchwork pot holders.



So when I was making a Book Depository order the other day, I thought I would add the Zakka book to my cart (along with my 3 Kevin McCloud books - there's a whole other story to go with that!).
There are lots of lovely projects in the book, but I thought I would start out small and easy and attempt the Happy Garland Message Board. I had all the listed requirements too (apart from the pegs but I bought them yesterday at Spotty) which is always a bonus. As coincidence would have it, this is also the project for this week in the Zakka Style sew along!

I have a little bit of a thing for greens going at the moment, so I thought I would use that colour scheme. What a super project for using up all those little scrappy pieces of fabric that you can't bear to throw out! Each little flag is cut from a 1" square of fabric! I am really pleased with how this turned out...and I managed to make it in between doing a few loads of washing, making lunch and getting dinner simmering on the stove - you have go to LOVE a project like that!


If only the note was true - wishful thinking on my part and a little nod to my beautiful friend Fiona.



The colours match really well with the patchwork pot holders that Fiona gave me on her last visit. I love them and am a bit in awe of Fiona's circular binding!




Finished and hanging on the wall.


I am looking forward to trying some of the other projects in the Zakka book in the coming months.....but I really should baste those 4 quilts that need doing first!


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Sweet little garland in all those greens!
    Oh wouldn't it be nice if your little note was for this week! :)

    ReplyDelete