Friday, October 26, 2012

Lots of little things


Ok....I have been quiet, but it's been a busy couple of weeks, and I am just trying to get all my eggs into one basket! In the last 3 weeks our plans for the coming year have changed. We are no longer moving to the Barossa at the end of the year - we will be staying in Coffs for another 12mths for my husband's work. And of course once we decided that, our house, which had been on the market for 3 months, has sold. So, we have to move house anyway! We are heading to a very nice townhouse that has a pool that I won't have to clean! So I'm in the process of packing some things, and deciding what I can and can't live without for the next 12mths or so - most of our stuff will be going into storage in SA. And of course all of this comes right in the middle of a time where I am working fulltime for the first time in 8 years!!!

Anyways - I have been managing to sneak in some sewing time and it's all been paper piecing!

One of my son's school friends had a birthday party last weekend. She is 7 and totally into Dr Who. After scanning the shops and not really finding anything Dr Who there, I thought that I would tackle a few of the awesome paper piecing patterns from Fandom In Stitches.



Dr Who Logo and Tardis


The Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

I then sewed it into a pouch and lined it with some teardrop fabric and finished it off with a velcro closure. I forget to snap a pic, but my son's friend loved it, and has been bringing it to school everyday to carry her favourite things :)


The other project i have been working on is some blocks for Wombat Stew - the paper piecing bee that I am part of. Alyce from BlossomHeartQuilts was Queen Bee for Sept and she asked for sushi inspired blocks.
My first block was inspired by a japanese plate that I found whilst googling.






I showed the pic to the lovely Kristy from Quietplay - she ran it through EQ7 and here is the result - 



My second block was inspired by Japanese tea. I sketched the design and Kristy was able to run it through EQ7 so that I would have a pattern to work from - here is the result.



I used some Rice Bowls fabric from Lecien to make the teapot and to add an accent to the cups.
I believe that the pattern for this block and the Sunrise plate will be available in Kristy's Craftsy shop in the coming weeks :)


You can see the rest of the Wombat Stew blocks here on Alyce's blog. We have such talented stitchers in our bee! You can also find us on Flickr

And in other news - I am a late minute addition to the lineup for the Sew Seasonal Blog Hop! I am very excited to be involved and to have an opportunity to help showcase the great designs from Kristy and Alyce.

Here is a little sneak peak of what I will be working on - 


I hope you can join me here on November 2nd!

2 comments:

  1. Little bit excited we are keeping you here for another year ;)

    Loving all your paper pieced projects too! So lovely that your Dr Who bag was such a hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lots of paper piecing. You have a busy time ahead but I will encourage you along. Nice that the school friend loved the gift.

    ReplyDelete