so now my kitchen smells delightful...full of ginger, cinnamon and spice!
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the golden syrup and the sugars in a small pan over very low heat, stirring until the sugars dissolve.
- Add the spices and the soda. When the mixture starts to bubble, remove from the heat.
- Place melted butter and hot syrup in a bowl and stir well. allow to cool slightly.
- Add the egg and then gradually sift the flour in as you stir the mixture.
- Roll the dough into walnut size balls and place on the trays. Flatten slightly with your hand and bake in the oven for 12-15minutes.Allow to cool.
Dissolve icing sugar in 1 tblsp warm water or lemon juice ( add more if icing is too stiff). Drizzle tops of the biscuits with icing.
They were soooo yummy with a cuppa. B even asked to try one and I got to explain to him a little about our family and that Oma was born in Holland.